The breast is comprised of a complex variety of tissues. Over time these tissues can go through significant changes in volume and position. Breast firmness changes result in deflation and changes in elasticity of the skin create drooping. Both changes in firmness and elasticity can be the result of weight gain or loss, pregnancy, nursing or aging.
A breast lift is called a “Mastopexy”. It is designed to raise and reshape sagging breasts by tightening and removing excess tissue. This procedure is known to turn back the hands of time and restore once sagging breasts to a more youthful placement and to improve your shape and general firmness.
Breast Lift Options
The surgical options for lifting the breast depend on the cause of the droopy appearance. Breast implants alone can treat a deflated breast that has not yet begun to droop. For patients that simply need volume, implants offer a straightforward solution. There are also some patients who are willing to accept a minor amount of hanging in order to avoid the scars of a mastopexy. This decision is made after a long discussion of the tradeoffs. There are also a number of variations to the scars that are created in a breast lift. These are dependent on the amount of droop and the methods chosen to improve it. Dr. D’Amore will review all of these options at your consultation.
How Do I Know if a Breast Lift Procedure is Right For Me?
- Are you unhappy with the shape, firmness or location of your breasts?
- Are willing to accept scars as a trade-off for these improvements?
- Are you looking to improve symmetry in the breasts as a result of treatment for breast cancer? Insurance will usually cover this operation, regardless of the cause of the asymmetry such as a lumpectomy or radiation.
- Do you have an asymmetry to your breasts which might be improved by the re-positioning of one?
What to Expect From Your Breast Lift Procedure
- A Breast Lift procedure surgery takes between 1 and 3 hours and is usually performed under general anesthesia. This is an outpatient procedure, so you will be able to go home shortly after your procedure.
- Recovery – A breast lift involves little discomfort or time out of work for the usual patient. One week is a reasonable expectation, but shorter or longer times may be arranged.
- The details of the operative and postoperative course are reviewed at the preoperative visit in preparation for an uncomplicated recovery.
As with all cosmetic procedures, the success of this operation is dependent on managing patient expectations, surgical execution, and an artistic understanding the factors at play in the outcome. If you have any questions regarding breast lifts for improvement in the appearance or symmetry of your breasts, Dr. D’Amore will be happy to discuss these at your consultation.